Pros and cons of stackable washers and dryers
Owing to the fast-paced lives we lead, we rarely get the finish our household chores, and our favorite book lies forgotten on the nightstand. However, one of the perks of living in the 21st century is that we have an array of home appliances that can make our lives easier. A stackable washer and dryer is one such appliance which ensures that there’s no dirty laundry piling up. However, one important choice you need to make while shopping for a washer and dryer is between stackable units, side by side washers and dryers, and combo units.
Before opting for either of these units, it is important to understand the pros and cons of them all. Make sure you compare the availability of features and specs that suit your needs the best so that you can choose a washer and dryer unit that eases your laundry chores.
Here are some pros of the stackable washers and dryers.
- One of the main advantages of stackable washer and dryer units is their space saving feature. Since the washer and dryer of a stackable unit are placed one on top of the other, you save a lot of space in your laundry area. This saved vertical space can help make the laundry area look roomy or can be used to place extra items in the area.
- Stackable washers and dryers are great time savers as well since both the machines in the unit can be used simultaneously. This can help the user take care of washing and drying the laundry at the same time, hence saving time spent on laundry chores.
Here are some cons of the stackable washers and dryers.
- Stackable washers and dryers do not allow the users to have any overhead cabinet as it may be an issue when placing the units. A cabinet higher than the stackable unit may be too high and inconvenient to access.
- Since stackable washers and dryers are only available in front-loading options, it can be a bit problematic if you want to add items to the cycles midway. This is not a problem with top loading machines as opening the door after pausing the cycle will not make the water spill out, unlike the front loading ones where this may be likely. If you miss adding an item to the load before starting the cycle, you will either have to stop the cycle midway and start it again or wait for the cycle to get over. You end up using up more water, energy, and time in either of the cases.
- Stackable washers and dryers are mostly electric but sometimes the dryer may be in a gas variant which requires a gas vent. This may be a problem if you live in a condo or apartment where installing an external vent may not be possible.
- The dryers in the stackable washer and dryer units are placed on the top. This may be inconvenient to those who are not tall enough when loading and unloading clothes. You may need to use a step stool in such a case. If you are someone not comfortable standing on such stools and have a problem reaching to the dryer, the height of these units may pose a problem.
Make sure that you compare the prices for stackable washers and dryers in different stores and across different websites to ensure that you are getting the best deal. Irrespective of whether you are getting a stackable unit or a side by side unit, or even a washer and dryer combo, try to get models that are power efficient. This not only helps in keeping your utility bills from shooting high, you also do the most responsible thing a human can do by taking care of the earth.