How to prevent bedbug infestation with sprays
Bedbugs are pests that feed on human blood while they infest pieces of furniture like beds or couches. They can be destroyed when with intensive treatment. These commonly plague places such as mattresses, sofas, wardrobe, box spring, carpets, etc. Bed bugs have an adverse effect on the health of people residing in the house. On the other hand, infestations in hotels and homes have to be particularly taken care of. This is because the infestation spreads rapidly. So for instance, if bed bug infestation occurs in one apartment of the building, then it can quickly transmit to the other homes as well.
The use of pesticides to kill the bedbugs requires multiple treatments, and this approach may not be as effective, as the bedbugs might become resistant to pesticides and other insecticides. The bed bugs can be exterminated entirely in 2 to 3 times of using the pesticide sprays. But any resistance towards insecticides and pesticides can make the elimination process highly challenging.
The best way to prevent bedbugs is to discard the furniture and other items infested with bedbugs. The recycling of bed bug infested furniture and other objects should also be avoided to stop the spreading of infestation. The pesticides such as piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrum have to be mixed in a capacity of 6 ml per cubic meter to overcome the outbreak. Propoxur too can be mixed with water to kill the bed bugs. Sulfuryl fluoride is another fungicide which can be used to destroy the bedbugs. Treatments such as steaming and vacuuming are also capable of killing the bed bugs. Mattresses, pillows and bed covers infested with bedbugs have to be discarded to avoid the spreading of bedbugs. The infestation can affect the health which can lead to severe allergies.
Bedbugs hide in the bed frame, so it is a good idea to put a tight cotton cover on the mattress to control the infestation for a while. Pesticide-resistance is increasing in many countries worldwide. So, bedbugs in diverse settings are resistant to different kind of repellents.
If you are using sprays to eliminate the bedbugs, then here are some essential things that you should remember.
- Pesticides and insecticides have to used carefully as they can be on the surface for weeks.
- They can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat which can be especially hazardous for children, sick individuals and pets. It can also lead to the onset of some allergies.
- The side effects of using the bed bug sprays are frequent headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea, blurred vision, excessive eye watering, sweating and excess saliva.
- These insecticides and pesticides can cause severe damage to the liver, kidneys, endocrine and nervous system.
- The pesticide sprays can cause contamination in the air, soil, etc. as the smell and the particles from the pesticides and insecticides can linger in the environment for extended periods.
- The pesticides can also alter the quality of the water if they mistakenly come in contact with it.
- Other risks can also include harm to pregnant or nursing women and seniors.
If you are not happy about using chemical-based pesticides or insecticides, then you can find products that are made from natural elements. These organic or herbal sprays can be equally effective in fighting bedbugs. Just ensure that you pick the right brand. If possible get a contractor who can expertly and immediately help you banish bed bugs.
- Home & Garden