Here’s why vitamin D supplements are vital for our health
Our body requires nutrients to function at its optimal level, and the deficiency of these nutrients can create a lot of issues for people. One of the common deficiencies that people suffer from is Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D is a vital nutrient that is required by our bodies in order to stay healthy. Extremely low levels of vitamin D can cause malicious diseases like osteomalacia in adults, and rickets in children. Both these conditions cause soft, brittle bones, joint pain, muscle pain, and weakness. Osteoporosis is also a condition associated with reduced bone density.
In addition, a number of medical conditions also contribute towards a lower count of vitamin D in an individual’s body. Some of these diseases are as follows:
- Kidney and liver diseases – They are known to reduce the amount of the enzyme needed to change vitamin D to a form in which it is used in the body. Lack of these particular enzymes leads to an inadequate level of vitamin D in the body.
- Cystic fibrosis, Crohn’s disease, and celiac disease – All these diseases make intestines incapable of absorbing enough vitamin D.
- Gastric bypass surgery – This removes a part of the stomach and/or the intestines, which in turn reduces the size of these organs and lowers the amount of vitamin D-containing nutrients that can be absorbed.
- Obesity – In most cases, a body mass index above 30 is associated with lower vitamin D levels. Researchers believe that fat holds onto the vitamin D, and does not allow it to be released into the bloodstream.
Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency
All vitamin D treatments and prevention procedures are directed towards the same goals, i.e., to reach, and then maintain adequate levels of vitamin D in the body. The first and the foremost measure most doctors recommend is to get moderate exposure to sunshine.
Doctors recommend 5 to 15 minutes of sun exposure, approximately two to three times a week to the face, arms, legs, or back. You must avoid the use of sunscreen, and stand in the balcony to treat the deficiency as it prevents vitamin D from being produced in the skin.
The next best option to treat vitamin D deficiency is through some of the best vitamin D supplements available in the market.
Role of Vitamin D supplements
Often your regular diet doesn’t help your body in producing enough vitamin D. That’s when you have to opt for the best vitamin D supplements to stay away from unwanted ailments that result from the deficiency of it.
Vitamin D supplements are available in two forms:
- D2 (ergocalciferol)
- D3 (cholecalciferol)
These two forms of vitamin D supplements are equally good for your bone health. However, a blood test for detecting the deficiency of vitamin D is recommended in order to determine the exact condition of the patient before recommending the dosage of any supplements. Based on the results, the amount of vitamin D supplement to be administered needs to be customized for each person.
Your doctor can also suggest you the best vitamin D supplements available in the market.
The consumption of some of the best vitamin D supplements helps enhance the vitamin D levels in your body in the following ways:
- Calcium absorption – vitamin D, in combination with calcium, helps to build the bones in our body.
- Interrupts the release of parathyroid hormone – Vitamin D aids in blocking the release of parathyroid hormone. This hormone has the reverse function of resorbing bone tissue, thereby making bones thin and brittle. By blocking the release of this hormone, vitamin D helps in restoring our bone health.
- Plays a role in muscle function and immune system – The immune system defends the body against infections and other illnesses. Regular consumption of vitamin D is known to fortify the inbuilt immunity of the body, helping it safeguard an individual against various diseases and infections.
- Health & Personal Care