7 Damaging Habits That Are Detrimental For Your Air Conditioner
Air conditioners are a boon to the modern world where the climate keeps getting warmer with every passing year. You cannot imagine the distress rising temperatures can cause for your kids at school and yourself when you are at work. In a bid to conquer the soaring heat and reduce its impact on everyone, offices, schools, and even public transport systems have opted for air conditioners since it is the most viable option.
Air conditioners have undergone a lot of changes and will keep evolving with the changing demands of people. So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise if you have a wide variety of air conditioners to choose from. The popular air conditioner brands keep upgrading themselves in a bid to outdo each other, and they come up with discounts every once in awhile, so, you are in for a treat.
When you finally buy an air conditioner, and it functions perfectly, you will have found the worth for your money. However, even the air conditioner is a machine, so, with the passage of time, it will definitely undergo a sizeable amount of wear and tear. Machines malfunctioning after a certain period is considered normal, but certain hazardous habits on your part to can cause your air conditioner to malfunction prematurely.
Here’s a list of “don’ts” for you to adhere to if you wish for your air conditioner to perform its optimum level.
- The reason that the expert’s advice you to opt for a smaller air conditioner when you have a small room is that it can distribute cool air evenly in your room. Do not buy a big air conditioner solely because you believe a bigger air conditioner can serve its purpose better. In case you buy an air conditioner that is too big for your room, the cooling cycle will be affected since it cannot maintain uniform temperature or reduce humidity.
- Do not hide the air conditioner behind curtains or if you have a portable air conditioner, behind the plants for an aesthetic appeal. Hiding the air conditioner behind furniture can affect the ventilation. Also, it clogs the condenser coils and disrupts the functioning of the air conditioner.
- Agreed that air conditioners are meant to cool the place, but it doesn’t imply that they are supposed to be kept in a hot place. Do not place the air conditioner in a hot spot where it comes directly in contact with heat. Place it in the direction where it isn’t directly exposed to sunlight.
- You cannot expect the air conditioner to function efficiently if it hasn’t received its timely servicing. Do not under any circumstance ignore the maintenance. The company whose air conditioner you bought, the place where you bought it from, everyone would advise you to opt for air conditioner maintenance every two months if you wish a long life for it.
- Do not turn the temperature way down. Always ensure that the temperature is slightly lower than the room temperature or as much as the room temperature. Reducing the temperature to the lowest possible level can increase the load on the machine and can cause your electricity bill to shoot up.
- Do not heat up the thermostat. Ensure that the air conditioner is away from devices that can heat it up. Keep it away from lamps, television sets, fireplaces, stereo sets, etc. Anything that can heat the thermostat has to be kept away from the air conditioner.
- Do not use the air conditioner as a substitute for your ceiling fan. People usually think of air conditioners as an alternative to fans when they should be used in sync with each other. When the air conditioner and the fan are used together, the fan is instrumental in the pushing the cool air downwards.
So, follow these tips and your air conditioner will function effectively for a long time.